FAQs About Immigration Law

If you’re a business owner, hiring foreign workers can be a great way to grow your company and keep it competitive. But if you’re new to the world of work visas, it’s important to know how they work—and what kind of visa is right for your situation. In this blog, we’ll answer some common questions about worker visas and how they might apply to your business.
What is the difference between immigrant and nonimmigrant visas?
Immigrant visas are for people who want to move to the United States permanently. Nonimmigrant visas are for people who wish to visit or work in the U.S. temporarily. The most common types of immigrant visas are family-based and employment-based, while nonimmigrant visas generally relate to work-related travel.
What is the most common work visa?
The most common work visa is the H1B, which allows US companies to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. The U.S. government caps the number of H1B visas that can be issued every year, but there are ways to obtain one if you don’t get lucky in the lottery. The second most common type of work visa is an L1. This allows foreign workers who have specialized skills and experience working for a multinational company to transfer those unique qualifications to another branch of their employer’s business located in the United States. The L1 visa requires approval from both federal agencies and certain state governments before being granted by USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services). A skilled team of attorneys, like the team at Knezek Law, can guide you through the visa process and help you achieve the best outcome for your workers.
Can I help my workers get visas?
Yes, you can help your workers get visas. You will need to be a US company and have a sponsor. The employee needs to have the right qualifications, such as a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited university in their country of origin. In addition, they must have at least one year of experience working in their field of study (e.g., engineering) in their country of origin before they apply for this visa.
You will likely also be asked to provide documents such as:
  • A completed Form I-129H petition with supporting evidence attached
  • An approved job offer letter from your company
When dealing with complicated federal and state immigration laws for business or family reasons, it is essential to work with an attorney who understands how these laws work and how they may change in the future. Knezek Law has the experience necessary to aid you and your business throughout this process. Contact us today to get started.